South Kivu Women’s Media Association has the following overall objectives:
To work for women’s and Congolese women’s advancement through available media outlets.
Specific objectives :
- To inform women of their rights and the mechanisms in place to protect those rights.
- To encourage women’s freedom of expression.To fight for equal rights between men and women.
- To fight for quantitative and qualitative gender parity in organizations and in all areas of public life.
- To facilitate women’s involvement in good governance and the brokering of lasting peace.
- To support activities for women’s development by helping them with communication and access to available media outlets.
- To fight against all forms of sexual violence through the media.
- To promote peace through the media.
South Kivu Women’s Media Association (AFEM-SK) is a nonprofit organization created under Congolese law on August 10, 2003.
AFEM-SK members are composed of women active in South Kivu’s media and news organizations, with 42 registered members.
AFEM-SK specializes in the production of rural and urban radio shows with a major focus on women, drawing on radio clubs and local activists as a base.
This group also produces news reports from the field and sends news back to local radio stations.
- Professionalism for female journalists, though training (short sessions or in-depth training thanks to a fellowship program) and through exchanges and networking with foreign media.
- To put in place a network for female journalists on the regional and national level ; To create a similar network for female journalists in other provinces.
- Ongoing awareness campaigns for rural women in South Kivu Province’s 8 territories on a various topics, particularly good governance and gender
- To offer news services (organizing conferences, editing articles and providing media coverage) to NGOs and partner media companies.
- The creation of a news outlet in Bukavu, South Kivu Province.
- The installation of a professional recording and editing studio for radio shows.
- The launch of a women’s news magazine.